At the College of Central Florida, we embrace Service Learning, an opportunity to create experiences where students take learning to higher levels of understanding through civic engagement that benefits both the student and our community.
Working together to meet a specific need, students commit to a specified amount of time (typically 10-20 hours) to complete a service project as part of an academic course. Following the experience, they return to the classroom and reflect on their connections made through service to course-specific concepts.
There are many ways for your organization to experience this mutually beneficial process:
- Request to partner with CF (email email@example.com)
- Identify a project with a set agenda or outcome needed, such as: (The options here are limited only by your imagination and can be designed for a particular class or a larger group of students.)
- Organizing and promoting an event
- Setting up a resource room
- Reaching out to the community through telephone campaigns
- Creating websites
- Providing a financial literacy class for clients
- Providing childcare during an event
An example of a smaller-scaled project option is participation in our Local Alternative Spring Break. Event information for the 2016 can be found at our CF Service Learning Facebook page. The deadline to apply is March 16. Click here to download the application to participate.
With a wide range of courses and program of study offered at the College of Central Florida consider the great resource students are, with their boundless energy and fresh ideas. You can play a critical role in developing the next generation of civic minded leaders! Please send any project ideas and contact information to Jay Thompson, firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 352-854-2322, ext. 1723.
Faculty and staff, please let us know of your planned Service Learning event by filling out form found here.
View the calendar below for upcoming opportunities.